Tuesday, July 27, 2010

An Eco Sort of Birthday

It is a very special friend of mines' birthday this week and I wanted to make her something extra special. She had mentioned to me at the market last weekend that a mouse had eaten her trusty eco-bag when she was in Vanuatu (I know, what a drag huh). Having recently successfully made my own market bag, I thought this would be the perfect gift for her. Fabric shopping ensued and I found the most perfect piece at a closing down op shop for $10. Perfect!

However, this wasn't quite enough for me. I'd been brewing a plan for a while now, to make netting produce/dried goods bags out of an old net curtain I had finally removed from my window. Now, I have nothing against net curtains- they are great if you want to spy on neighbours, or dance around your house nude in the day time. But if I look out my window, all I see is fence, which negates the need for the net curtain to protect me from neighbours, or to protect my neighbours from me. The impending birthday was a perfect opportunity to try out my plan.

 The Husky, all set up in my new sewing nook.

The shopping bag was a breeze. I chopped an oblong of fabric to the size I wanted, sewed up the sides and hemmed the top edge. Then, I added handles and sewed across the diagonal of the bottom corners to make a square bottom. Easy as pie.


The produce bags were even easier. I used the hemmed edge of the net, cut to the size I wanted and sewn up the open edges. I used old curtain cord as the pull tie, threaded into the already hemmed top and burnt to seal the edges.


These bags are fantastic! I can't believe I have waited so long to make them! I will definitely be making some for myself in the future. By using a recycled curtain and cord, thrifted fabric for the bag, wrapping paper from my linen cupboard and a homemade card, this whole present cost me only $10, and I know the birthday girl will love it.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, they are brilliant!!!! You are so clever. And what a lucky friend. xx Hope you are over the worst of your colds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So freakin clever!! What a lucky friend you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. I have mesh produce bags and adore them. I feel so free without having to use any plastic at the market! xo m.

    ReplyDelete