Thursday, March 3, 2011

Homemade Yoghurt

I don't feel like talking about the earthquake at the moment; maybe I never will. But in the meantime, I have a few posts saved up that I feel like I would like to publish. Trying to find normality in the chaos and devastation is important here at the moment, so this is my way of doing that. Hope you are all well. Much love to you and your families xxx

* * * * *

Yoghurt is one of those staples I always have in the fridge. I love it on porridge or muesli, in smoothies, as a base for tzatziki, or as a topping for dessert. I used to buy a pottle of organic yoghurt every week, but now I know how simple it is to make my own, I don't need to anymore! I use organic, full fat, unpasteurised milk for this, and it gives a delicious, creamy taste and texture, very similar to the bought stuff. Raw milk makes a slightly runnier yoghurt, so if you want it to be really thick and creamy, be sure to use pasteurised milk.

Homemade Yoghurt
1 litre fresh milk
2 tsp live, cultured yoghurt (as your starter)

Slowly warm the milk until it is about 45 degrees (until the base of the pot is just tolerable to touch). Whisk the yoghurt starter into the warm milk and then pour into a clean jar. Place jar in a yoghurt maker (like an Easiyo) that has been filled with hot water and leave for 10 to 12 hours to do it's thing. Cool in the fridge and enjoy!

Milk and culture, on it's way to becoming yoghurt
If you don't have a yoghurt maker (they are pretty cheap to buy though), you can wrap the jar in a towel and place in a chilly bin with a hot water bottle.Remember to leave some yoghurt at the end of your jar to make the next batch!

See? Super easy right!?

No comments:

Post a Comment