Monday, March 28, 2011

Tomato and Spinach Barley Risotto

Oh my goodness. I tried this recipe after seeing it reposted on the fabulous Angela's blog, and boy oh boy did it blow my mind! I modified it slightly (as I do with EVERYTHING, it seems) by adding spinach, using fresh tomatoes and herbs and swapping out the almond milk and nutritional yeast for regular milk and cheese, and it was the most delicious, nutty, chewy bowl of yum I had ever experienced! Paddy was a huge fan and my neighbour has already tried her hand at making it, last night. I ended up doubling the recipe, so we had leftovers for lunch, and at $1.19 for a bag of barley, this meal really is a bargain.

Really, you have to try this. Promise me you will? Good :)


Tomato and Barley Risotto (from Oh She Glows)

1 cup pearl barley (from bulk bin section in the supermarket or around with the dried soup mixes)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh oregano (or 1/2 Tbsp dried)
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can chopped tomatoes)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 Tbsp miso paste mixed into the water
1/4 cup grated cheese
Large handful of spinach, destemmed
1/4 cup fresh basil (or add 1/2 Tbsp dried with the oregano)
Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse the barley under running water and drain. Heat the oil in a large pot, add the barley and stir until well coated with oil. Add the oregano and garlic, and cook until the barley is sizzling. Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, milk, water and miso. Stir to combine, then turn to a low heat, partially cover and cook until barley is soft but still chewy (about 30 minutes). Keep an eye on the pot that the liquid doesn't disappear. Once barley is cooked, add the cheese, spinach and basil, cook until the spinach has wilted and it is done! Serve hot topped with grated parmesan and fresh bread on the side. Dribble with food ecstasy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to make this, it sounds soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dish looks delicious!! Risotto is never a bad choice for a meal. If you’re looking for more recipes for that, I know a great brand of rice risotto that has never failed me. The preparation is made very easy, and it also has a roasted tomato risotto recipe available, so it’s always been a favorite!

    ReplyDelete