Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Feijoa Yoghurt Crumble Cake

The last piece...
Oh my goodness, it feels like forever since I have done a real post here! I haven't even had time to read blogs, let alone write my own :( Paddy is rehearsing for his next play at the moment and we have about an hour a day together, if we are lucky. The rest of my time during the week seems to be taking up with cooking, dishes, cleaning, washing, puppy-wrangling and of course, sleeping and working. But, I have been having weekends full of interesting activities including cider and limoncello making, sleepy pillow sewing, gardening, and of course, recipe inventing. This cake is a result of a box of feijoas that turned up on our doorstep a few weeks ago, courtesy of my lovely Aunty. Such a treat! I searched for a feijoa cake recipe and couldn't find anything I loved, so I took a few ideas and created this one. It is delicious, moist and feijoa-y, and I highly recommend trying it!

Feijoa Yoghurt Crumble Cake

6 large feijoas, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
125 grams softened butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
2 cups white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Crumble
25 grams butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats

Place the feijoas, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla and yoghurt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and ginger together, and gently fold in the wet mixture. Pour into a well greased baking tin. Mine was a spring-form tin, 30cm diameter. Mix the crumble ingredients together and sprinkle on top of the cake. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Enjoy warm with yoghurt and a drizzle of runny honey.

3 comments:

  1. Do you scoop out the flesh of the feijoas or peel the skin off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's peel off the skin. You get more flesh like this. I do sometimes peel off a bit more depending on how ripe the fruit is. The outside can be quite dry and woody if it's not ripe enough. I am not the expert though, I am about to try this recipe for the first time.

      Delete
  2. peel the skin off der

    ReplyDelete