Thursday, May 19, 2011

What I'm Reading in May

I always have a few books on the go and I thought I might start a habit of sharing them with you. I'm always keen for new books, regular or audio (I do a lot of driving and it's a good way to pass the time), so please, do share what's keeping you busy and tickling your brain cells currently!

On my bedside table at the moment I have:


The Kabul Beauty School - a true story about a lady who opens a beauty school in Kabul. The story is ok but the writing style is rather poor. I am trying to finish it just because I hate leaving books unfinished, but it's dragging a bit.

The Vintner's Luck - I started reading this a few days before the earthquake and have not been able to pick it up since. Maybe this shouldn't be in the 'what I'm reading pile'... I have heard it's a great book so I do plan on getting to it eventually!

Taking Charge of Your Fertility - I have very recently stopped taking my pill (more on this at a later date) and have found this book to be the most amazing resource for everything a woman should know about her body. I HIGHLY recommend reading this book if you are trying to conceive, trying not to conceive, or simply want to know more about what is going on with your lady bits. I was engrossed in this book from the first page and have been referring back to it almost daily since it turned up in my letterbox courtesy of The Book Depository. I am so glad I found it!

Good magazine - easily my favourite magazine, I got a subscription for Christmas, and it is a happy day in my world when this beautiful, informative and intelligent magazine lands in my letterbox.

Your Home and Garden magazine - a guilty pleasure, I picked this up yesterday. I love to daydream about my 'forever' house and this magazine is like drugs for my wandering mind...


What I'm listening to:

Skinny Bitch - an interesting, informative book on the vegan diet from a very American perspective. I don't want to be vegan, but I am always interested in better informing myself on diet and health. This is a straightforward look at a certain way of eating. Well worth a read/listen if you are thinking of cutting back on meat and animal products, or even just to learn more about Veganism.

3 comments:

  1. Oh good post I like to hear about other peoples reading recommendations x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Amy. I forget about audio books. I should play them while driving the kids to school. My all time fav book is 'the book thief' by Marcus Zusak? I good read if you haven't already

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, Good magazine.... I wish it was monthly! Having to wait two months for the next issue to turn up in the mailbox is very hard. That fertility book looks super interesting, I just checked and our library has it, hurrah!

    I listened to the audio books of the Portugese Irregular Verbs trilogy (by Alexander McCall Smith). Very entertaining, and read by Hugh Laurie who is excellent and also hot.

    ReplyDelete